Courses offered: M.Sc Bioinformatics,M Phil,PhD.
Nature of Course: Semester Scheme for M.Sc. program
Duration: 4 Semesters (2 years) for M.Sc. program
Intake: 20+10 (Payment) for M.Sc. program
Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences (including Agriculture, Pharmacy and Fishery), Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computer Applications, Bio-chemistry, Biology, BCA, Microbiology, BE/B.Tech in Biotechnology with minimum of 50% aggregate marks (40% in case of SC/ST/Cat-1 & 45% for OBC candidates) from any recognized University.
|Dr. Babu R. Lamani|
|Designation||Coordinator, Department of Bioinformatics|
|Telephone No (Office)||08352-229125|
|Dr. Babu R. Lamani||MSc., MPhil, PhD||Cancer Biology, drug discovery & molecular biology||Asst. Professor|
|Dr. Joy Hoskeri||M.Sc., Ph.D||Proteomics and Bioinformatics||Asst. Professor|
To empower women through the development of computational skills & analytical skills required to excel in the field of “life science"
- To make students globally competent by training them on advanced techniques through state-of-the-art facilities.
- Facilitating skill based training in computational and statistical techniques for biological data analysis.
- Enable students to efficiently involve themselves in data ware housing and data mining.
- To familiarize and train students on all biological databases along with on-line and many advanced off-line biomolecular data analysis softwares.
- To provide basic to core biological knowledge to relate biological information on gene function and protein structure/function with sequence and genome.
- To enable students to work on platforms like Drug designing, Molecular Docking, Chemoinformatics, NGS data analysis, Microarray data analysis etc.
- To deliver ICT enabled teaching and learning.
Department of Bioinformatics is enriched with the state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory facilities to train students on advanced techniques in order to make them competent.
- BIF center for regular trainings and workshops (established under the assistance of DBT, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India).
- Wet lab with equipments like RT-PCR, PCR, HPLC, GC-MS, FT-IR, Bio-Rad Electrophoresis and SDS-PAGE Units, UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, Gel Documentation Unit, Deep Freezers etc.
- Animal Cell Culture facility, Plant Tissue Culture facility, Molecular and cell biology facility.
- Digital classroom with sound system for ICT based teaching.
- Sufficient number of Books in the library.
- Studentship stipend through BIF-DBT during 4th semester for completing project.
Bioinformatics offers excellent job opportunities in Clinical research, Pharmaceutical, Biopharmaceuticals, IT, R and D Labs, Agriculture, Medicine, Industries, Entrepreneurship and Education.
- Department is recognized as National Facility Center by DBT for training in Bioinformatics.
- 80% of the are recruited in clinical research labs, bio labs and IT industries
- 02 PhD’s are awarded in 2013-14, 02 have submitted for award in 2014-15 and 03 students are preserving PhD.