Akkamahadevi Women's University formerly known as Karnataka State Women's University, established in 2003 in the city of Vijayapura (Formerly Bijapur), is the only Women's University in Karnataka dedicated exclusively for women's education. It is recognized under 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act. It has been accredited 'B'grade by NAAC. The university is also a recipient of three Stars in NIRF rankings. One hundred and thirty seven women's colleges of Karnataka, are affiliated to this University and one P G center at Sindhanoor and also at Udutadi, one Extension center at Mandya are also offering various programmes.
The University offers various UG programmes leading to Bachelor's degree in Arts, Business Administration, Computer Applications, Commerce, Education, Fashion Technology, Home Science, Physical Education, Science and Social Work. It also offers 32 P G Courses, P G Diploma and Certificate Courses in the Faculties of Arts, Commerce and Management, Social Sciences, Science and Technology and Education.
Core values of AWUV
Empowerment of women through education
• To provide quality education and impart professional and vocational skills to enable women to be self reliant and meet the challenges of the changing socio-economic needs
• To promote personality development and leadership qualities with a balanced outlook towards society
• To help women enrich their knowledge and reap the benefits of knowledge power
• To ensure holistic education treasuring cultural heritage, core values of personal integrity, professional skills, awareness about the socio-economic, scientific and cultural developments at all levels in order to enable women lead personally and professionally fulfilling lives
• To equip women with necessary qualities to play an equal role in decision making in matters of importance to herself, family and society
• To promote advanced research in science social sciences, arts and humanities' especially on topics of regional importance
• To contribute towards socio-economic transformation of women in need through formal and non-formal education and training, out reach programs and facilitate strengthening of mass education and primary education programmes.
• To Bridge gender gaps
• Help communities and women from rural and backward areas join main stream
• To enable and motivate communities and women to play an effective and constructive role in the society at all levels.